Short info about today's IRC meeting (2021-05-19)
Peter Boy
2021-05-19 22:22:41 UTC
Again, for all of us lazy people, a brief summary right here.

For greater details see meetbot
Full log: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2021-05-19/fedora-server.2021-05-19-17.00.log.html

=== Planning for next Fedora release(s) ===

== Subitem: Improved support for off-premise Kickstart and pxe installation

* Longer discussion about different patterns and focal points

* We need a Wiki page to help to systematize the discussion

ACTION: pboy will set up a first version of subpage about "Improved support for off-premise Kickstart and pxe installation“

== Subitem: Providing easy installation and pre-configuration for key services with Ansible

* Longer discussion about how to facilitate installation and administration of central services as application Server à la Wildfly / jBoss

** Helper rpms that only contain the systemd environment and an installation script do not comply with Fedora policy

** Ansible collections and things should be referencing packages and leverage Fedora content rather than external stuff

AGREED: Dedicate on of the next meeting to discuss Ansible in Fedora Server

ACTION: pboy, swefredde, jwhimpel set up a wiki page for further discussion
Matthew Miller
2021-05-19 23:08:29 UTC
Post by Peter Boy
Again, for all of us lazy people, a brief summary right here.
As a lazy person, I very much appreciate the summaries -- thanks!

--
Matthew Miller
<***@fedoraproject.org>
Emmanuel Seyman
2021-05-20 00:42:29 UTC
Post by Peter Boy
Again, for all of us lazy people, a brief summary right here.
Would it be possible to add the name of the channel to the call for
agenda items? It's not immediately obvious where the meeeting takes
place.

Putting the time of the meeting in the body of the email as well as
the subject line would be welcome too.
Post by Peter Boy
** Ansible collections and things should be referencing packages and
leverage Fedora content rather than external stuff
FTR, this is the reason I signed on to the mailing list. I'ld like to
make it as easy as possible for people to install and use the bugzilla
package Fedora ships.

Emmanuel
Peter Boy
2021-05-20 05:16:24 UTC
Post by Emmanuel Seyman
Post by Peter Boy
Again, for all of us lazy people, a brief summary right here.
Would it be possible to add the name of the channel to the call for
agenda items? It's not immediately obvious where the meeeting takes
place.
Putting the time of the meeting in the body of the email as well as
the subject line would be welcome too.
Very helpful tip!

Ultimately, by omission so far, I have sort of missed my own goal of making communication in the highly idiosyncratic Fedora community so that everything is decipherable not just to those who are already "initiated" into all the details anyway.
Post by Emmanuel Seyman
Post by Peter Boy
** Ansible collections and things should be referencing packages and
leverage Fedora content rather than external stuff
FTR, this is the reason I signed on to the mailing list. I'ld like to
make it as easy as possible for people to install and use the bugzilla
package Fedora ships.
You are welcome.

Peter

Do not reply to spam on the list, report it: h
Michael R. Davis
2021-05-20 12:43:39 UTC
 Providing easy installation and pre-configuration for key services with Ansible> ** Helper rpms that only contain the systemd environment and an installation script do not comply with Fedora policy
If we plan to do it in Ansible why not do it in RPM?  If it's policy holding us back why not recommend a change to the policy before we go down the path of requiring Ansible on top of RPM.  Packages are one of the biggest benefits to application deployment.
My proposal is that there are two RPMs for each service daemon.  One to enable and start the service and another to open the firewall.  I have built many of these for our own deployments.  The "{service}-on" package would enable/start the service where the "{service}-on-firewall" package would open the firewall.  Most are simple wrapper RPMs that only need requires and post sections.
Having packages provide the correctly running service eliminates the need for yet another layer/tool on top of RPM.

$ rpm -qa | grep -- -on-rabbitmq-server-on-0.08-1.el7.xxx.noarchmariadb-server-on-0.06-1.el7.xxx.noarchhttpd-on-0.23-1.el7.xxx.noarchmemcached-on-0.04-1.el7.xxx.noarchpostgis-on-0.08-1.el7.xxx.noarchpostgresql-server-on-0.11-1.el7.xxx.noarch

Michael R. Davis
Peter Boy
2021-05-26 15:10:50 UTC
Post by Peter Boy
Providing easy installation and pre-configuration for key services with Ansible
** Helper rpms that only contain the systemd environment and an installation script do not comply with Fedora policy
If we plan to do it in Ansible why not do it in RPM? If it's policy holding us back why not recommend a change to the policy before we go down the path of requiring Ansible on top of RPM. Packages are one of the biggest benefits to application deployment.
I suppose, too, we need some rpm

And it could be advantagous to change policy. Please, join us at the upcoming IRC meeting:
Every Wednesday, 17:00 UTC, #fedora-meeting
My proposal is that there are two RPMs for each service daemon. One to enable and start the service and another to open the firewall. I have built many of these for our own deployments. The "{service}-on" package would enable/start the service where the "{service}-on-firewall" package would open the firewall. Most are simple wrapper RPMs that only need requires and post sections.
I don’t understand why to have an rpm to open the firewall. But let us discuss that later